Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Dog Day


My dog Gracie is 13 today. I'm dedicating this post to her and to my friend Andrea, artist and dog lover whose hand injury has left her temporarily unable to paint. So to all dog lovers, lovers of dog art, here's a few links to keep you busy.

Photos of People Taking Photos of My Dog. I really can't explain my love of this site, because the title is the only thing this blog is about. Homer, a french bulldog, likes to sit and sleep in the window of his owner's gallery in Chicago. Passerby's take pictures of Homer and Homer's owner takes pictures of them. And that's it, but I like it.

Dog Art Today is where I found the above link. It's packed full of interesting gems of art, historical and contemporary references relating to dogs, but also so much more.

The Secrets Inside Your Dog's Mind is a fascinating article from TIME about dog behaviour and the evolution of the relationship between humans and dogs.

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends tomorrow. I'm using this holiday, completely unrelated to me, as an excuse to take the day off from the computer. Yes, I'm a daily blogger dropout. A 30"x40" canvas that has been painted over 3 times is staring at me accusingly, saying, "Paint me or get a job at Walmart!". Obviously, I'm projecting, and possibly I'm getting a bit INSANE and need a cyber break of at least one day. See you soon.




6 comments:

p said...

good luck with that painting...that explains a chunk of crabby!
love the dog pictures above....

andrea said...

Thanks for the distractions, E. I may need them today, though my hand is feeling a lot better (phew). I totally get your attraction to the blog you mentioned. It's more like a conceptual/performance art project than a blog.

Done anything with the huge panel yet..?

andrea said...

PS I love the photo of Gracie at the top. (Nice camera!) She's got that noble look.

Ellen said...

Paula- I think all that overthinking made a crabbypants, getting past that :)

Andrea - the big panel is feeling a little too precious still, need to get into a painting groove again first. Gracie's aged so much this year, but a ringer for a dingo in her younger days.

Kathy Hodge said...

Hi, I enjoy stopping by your blog and just read your Dog Day post and discovered this blog http://www.thehowlingcanvas.blogspot.com/ on the same day, so thought you might like it.

Ellen said...

Hi Kathy, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the link. I like her contemporary style for pet portraits.