Saturday, September 6, 2008

Crows and Google Maps


"Conversation #1"


"Conversation #2"

Some recent acrylic and ink works on paper. The background text is excerpts taken from Mark Twain on Indian crows.

My crow obsession is slowly waning, although it is branching out to a general bird appreciation. I've just discovered there is a Great Blue Heron reserve not far from me. I'm off to find it this week with the help of Google maps. I only hope my downloaded directions are more accurate than this:



From xkcd webcomics

6 comments:

p said...

hey you switch sidebars to the left now...
I like the colors in these pieces. I'm a little tired of crows, they do that to death here...but I have to say I like YOURS more than the ones I've seen around vermont. The writing keeps it interesting and the birds aren't looking like they are making a godly statement. good job :)

Melody said...

Awsome Ellen! Your work on crows is just wonderful. Can't wait to see what other direction the birds will take you.

Ellen said...

Paula: my blog is a bit of mess, I switched templates just so the comic will fit, silly me with my total ignorance of web graphics, will have to fix it again.

That's interesting you mentioning about the 'making a godly statement'. For someone like me who does representational artwork, avoiding the pitfalls of cliches and romanticizing the subject is really the challenge. Unless you make it subversive, which isn't an interest of mine. I guess it would be striving for a balance between the two, something I'd like to one day figure out.

Melody: thanks, I'm working on a few larger paintings, then I think it'll be out of my system, on to something else.

Caroline said...

I love these crows! But you are right even crows have their season... and herons sound most interesting.

I do hope you don't end up in the lake...

Ellen said...

Caroline: herons are interesting, but I realize I'm attracted more to the intelligence of crows. I suppose I'm a bird snob.

p said...

then you were very successful in this piece I would say :)